Wednesday, February 5, 2020

6A- IDENTIFYING OPPORTUNITIES & ECONOMIC TRENDS

ECONOMIC TRENDS:
1. Problem: The rise of Gas Prices
    Opportunity: Cars that run on electricity rather than fuel 

2. a)https://www.thebalance.com/us-economic-outlook-3305669
    b) The article talks about the projected rise in gas prices in the next few years. Gas prices have been rising every year little by little. Soon prices will be too high for anyone to want to pay them.
    c) The prototypical customer would be anyone in the electric car manufacturing business. Soon, people will prefer to pay the price of an electric car over the extreme gas prices we will soon face.
    d) I believe as gas prices continue to raise and climate change continue to be an extreme issue, that people will want to make the switch for themselves. In a few years, everyone will want to switch over to electric versus gas because it is the most economically friendly/ cost efficient alternative.

3. I believe that everyone can agree that Electric cars are on the come up. Elon Musk's company Tesla has been creating cars little by little that are affordable to the common people. At first, electric powered cars were too expensive for everyone to switch over. Now, with developing technology, it is more common to see them on the road. Gas prices rising is leading people to seek alternatives now, I can only imagine as gas prices continue to rise throughout the years.


1. Problem: Climate change hindering Economic Growth
    Opportunity: Help combat climate change 1 person at a time
2. a)https://voxeu.org/article/does-climate-change-affect-economic-growth
    b) The article explains how Natural disasters due to climate change has been affecting our countries economic growth. In 2017, 850 natural disasters occurred causing insurance to pay for damages, hard. If companies have to continuously rebuild to natural disasters, they aren putting any money into the economy, which is beginning to seriously hinder economic growth.
    c) Everyone in return would benefit from doing what they can to combat climate change. It takes a few changes in our daily routine to bring down emission rates. In the long run we will begin to see a rise in economic growth rather than a decline, throughout the years.
    d) Once people begin to see the true effects of climate change, then people will realize something must be done to stop this all. It is our fault that this is happening to our planet and I feel like the only thing we can do is spread awareness. I had no idea climate change related to economic growth until researching for this very assignment.
3. I did some research and felt this topic was one I had to speak about. Like I said before, I had no idea that there was a correlation between climate change and economic growth. All it takes is spreading awareness. It makes sense, natural disasters are causing communities to rebuild a whole town because of damage. No one really understands that this is all of mankind's issue. Soon people will realize when it is too late.

REGULATORY TRENDS:
1. Problem: Data being collected online without the permission of the user 
    Opportunity: Some kind of system that limits what type of information websites can collect from users of the website. 
2. a) https://www.cfr.org/report/reforming-us-approach-data-protection
    b) Data users are concerned that their information is not as private as it use to be when big social media brands first came out. This is leaving some people weary of using these sites because of that. Some are infuriated with the amount of information is collected from them without permission first. A system could be put in place to reduce the amount of information thi collected from a user of social media and other things online.
    c) The customer would be those who do not feel comfortable with social media sites collecting info about them. They could purchase said program to prevent what info websites can collect from them and what they cannot.
    d) No one likes the idea of everything on their browsing history being searched. Some people just dont find it a deal breaker like others do. I personally believe that this is a huge invasion of privacy but I still actively use social media. I feel like if there was an alternative to all this, people would want that over what we have now.
3. This is personally an issue I feel pretty strongly about and I wish that someone was doing something to protect our privacy. As a frequent user of social media, it makes me uncomfortable that websites can see what I am doing on other websites that have no correlation to theirs. One's personal phone/laptop is very private unless they make it public. I just wish that some private things could remain private instead of out there in the "cloud".

5 comments:

  1. Gigi,

    I like your opportunities in the economic growth sector. I believe this is a huge problem that many people don't want to believe is happening to our earth. Your second opportunity can be helped by your first opportunity. Anything helps and a lot of people don't think that's true. If one person starts a trend, they can pass it to another and then another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few other people in our group posted articles about climate change; me included. I couldn’t agree more with you on what you are saying in regard to everyone doing their part.

    I appreciated the article you posted about data being collected online without the permission of the user. This is definitely out of hand. I feel as though nothing is really private anymore and everything is out there for just anyone. It’s scary actually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you distinguish the problem with the opportunity at the beginning of each introduction, it helps focus each response. In regards to your point on electric cars, I think you are correct in saying that there has been a shift towards that market greater than ever before. I think Tesla has been a driving force in this as they introduced luxury electric vehicles that have a certain reputation and image behind them that makes them more desirable to consumers. I think this is a good trend because non-renewable resources that have been used to power most automobiles have many long-term negative side effects. Thus, I think it is important to invest in renewable technologies. I know that some Scandinavian countries have subsidized electric car purchases, which has led to a greater and quicker adoption of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gigi, I too wrote about climate change. Except I focused on how climate change is causing more natural disasters, and how that as a whole is a domino affect into other issues. I also enjoyed reading about the issues of privacy, and it is getting a little concerning. I think there is a huge opportunity there and hopefully someone takes advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Victoria, the first two selection for the economics section goes together and feed off of each other. Climate change is getting worst and I don't think we understand that becuase of that change, prices for gas will always increase. We have to do better !

    ReplyDelete

30A- Final Reflection

1. I knew what I was getting into from the very beginning of this course because I had already taken it a year before. When I took it the fi...